5 minutes read Mar 03,2020
A soft blanket, a good book, and a warm bowl of soup. These are three things we love to enjoy during winter. However, making a soup while RVing can be a bit of a chore if the recipe is complex. To help you with that, we've made a list of three winter soup recipes that are easy as can be.
Bundle up, turn on some music, and get cooking!
3 Winter Soup Recipes to Warm Up
1. White Chicken Chili
There's no winter soup recipe cozier than chili. But the traditional red chili can feel a bit stale. To mix things up, try making a white chili with chicken. This broth-based chili features a different set of flavors coming together in a wonderfully warm dish.
Recipe borrowed from Taste of Home.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 ounces chicken broth
- 4 ounces chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 3 cans (14 ½ ounces each) great northern beans, drained, divided
- (Optional) Shredded Monterey Jack cheese, for serving
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook chicken and onion in oil until lightly browned. Add garlic and cook one minute longer. Stir in the broth, chilies, cumin, oregano, and cayenne; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. With a potato masher, mash one can of beans until smooth. Add to pot. Add remaining beans to pot. Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and onion is tender.
- Serve garnished with shredded cheese.
2. Beef Stew
What could be a time-consuming recipe is made quick with a few shortcuts. Beef stew is one of the best winter soup recipes and this recipe ensures it reaches the table in just 30 minutes. Feel free to make it more traditionally if you have extra time.
Recipe borrowed from McCormick.
- 2 pounds beef sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch stew cubes
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 package beef stew seasoning mix
- 3 cups water
- 5 cups frozen stew vegetables (potatoes, carrots, and celery are standard choices)
- Coat beef with flour. Heat one tablespoon of the oil in large nonstick skillet or Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Add half of the beef; brown on all sides. Repeat with remaining beef, adding one tablespoon oil. Return all beef to skillet.
- Stir in beef stew seasoning mix and water. Add vegetables; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
3. Black bean Soup
A simple vegetarian soup recipe should be a staple in every kitchen. Black beans are inexpensive, filling, and nutritious, making this a winning winter soup recipe. This version uses the slow cooker but making the soup in a pot works well too if you're in a hurry.
Recipe borrowed from Budget Bytes.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 pound dry uncooked black beans
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- Rinse the black beans in a colander under cool running water and pick out any stones or debris.
- Combine the garlic, onion, celery, carrots, black beans, salsa, chili powder, cumin, oregano, vegetable broth, and water in a 5-7 quart slow cooker. Stir well.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 6-8 hours. Once the beans are very soft, use an immersion/hand blender to blend the soup until it is thick and creamy. Taste the soup and add salt if needed.
We hope you've enjoyed these easy winter soup recipes. Now that you know how to warm up during the season, share with others so they can too!