5 minutes read Mar 03,2018
It doesn't matter how you camp - in an RV, a tent or a vacation rental. Those are just the places where you hang your hat and curl up for the night. Camping is an opportunity for serious fun and activities. Moreover, it's an experience that you can customize for your family's interests based on the season and where you're going.
You don't have to pack everything in the world to stay entertained. In fact, there are plenty of simple activities for your next family vacation. To avoid brain storm sessions with your family, here's our super Sun checklist of camping activities!
Camping Activities - Prepare to Get Wet with these Water Activities
There are tons of exciting things you can do in the water if your campsite is near a lake, river, pool, or other body of water. Some are very active; others are for lazy relaxing days. Slip on your bathing suit and have some fun in the water.
- Skipping stones
- Floating or lounging
- Canoeing or kayaking
- Water skiing
- Wave runners
- Water volleyball or basketball
- Have a water balloon fight.
- Bring an inflatable wading pool and fill it with water. This is great if you head to a camping or RV resort with utility hook ups!
Camping Activities: Stay Active with these Sports Activities
Not all camping and RV resorts have a full list of amenities like Sun RV Resorts. If you're rustic camping
in the wild or you're somewhere with limited amenities - or maybe just want some more variety - here are some great ideas to stay active with your family.
- Disc golf (Frisbee golf)
- Corn Hole
- Lawn bowling
- Spelunking (caving) - Make sure you have an experienced guide with you.
- Capture the Flag
- Hide and Seek
- Tag (there are dozens of variations)
- Red Rover
Camping Activities: Become One with Nature with these Family Camping Activities
Part of the joy of camping is being closer to nature. Explore the great outdoors more with these activities. Be sure to respect the area where you are. Don't disturb or damage the wildlife.
- Animal watching
- Catching fireflies
- Bug collecting
- Nature gathering (pine cones, rocks, flowers, etc.)
- Cataloging Rocks
- Fossil Hunting
- Searching for wild berries, nuts, and other edible plants.
- Have a camping scavenger hunt.
Camping Activities - When It's Time to Wind Down
Staying active and enjoying the day is an important part of every camping trip. But you also have to embrace the down time and give your mind and body a nice break. If you're camping to get away from regular stress, then here are some great ways to relax and enjoy the family camping trip.
- Swing in a hammock
- Watch the trees blowing in the breeze
- Listen to nature
- Take lots of naps
- Daydream and let your mind wander
- Float on the water
Camping Activities - When You're Stuck in the Tent
Maybe the kids need some downtime in the tent. Or perhaps someone isn't feeling well. There could even be some unexpected weather that is keeping you "indoors". Of course, you could just be relaxing under the protection of your tent to escape the bugs. There are plenty of things you can do inside the tent, either alone or with friends and family.
- Read books and magazines
- Read aloud to each other
- Card games
- Board games
- Crafting (knitting, sewing, drawing)
- Watch movies on portable devices
- Play on other electronic devices (iPods, iPads, Gameboys, etc.)
- Make up stories to tell each other
Camping Activities - Enjoying the Night
The camping trip doesn't end when the sun sets. A whole slew of activities become available when night time comes and dark settles on the campground. The darkness is a thrilling time while family camping because you're not dealing with the lights and commotion of the city. Check out these awesome nighttime activities.
- Make shadow puppets
- Go for a nighttime walk
- Play flashlight tag
- Play hide and seek in the dark
- Go for a midnight swim
- Study the stars
- Shoot off fireworks
- Release sky lanterns
- Play glow in the dark bowling. Put glow sticks in 2-liter bottles filled with water. Use a ball to knock them down
- Tell ghost stories
- Play Truth or Dare
- Sing campfire songs
- Play a guitar or other instrument
- Dance around the fire
- Try out new varieties of s'mores
- Make colored fire. Packages of colored fire crystals or pine cones are sold at most camping supply stores.
Now that you have great ideas for things to do while camping, it's time to get out there and try them! Be sure to share your adventures with Sun RV Resorts on Facebook, and if you liked this post, share it with your friends!