5 minutes read Oct 28,2016
When the weather starts to cool down there's nothing better than some hearty comfort food! Things like stews and soups that you can curl up on the couch with while reading a favorite book.
The last thing any of us want to do when it's chilly out, however, is to spend our days slaving away in the kitchen when we'd rather be warm and cozy under the blankets. So make your life easier this winter by utilizing your slow cooker! Simply add your ingredients to the pot, let it cook for a few hours, and viola! You'll have yourself a steamy meal waiting for you by the end of the day.
Easy Slow Cooker Potato Soup Borrowed from our friends at Simply Made with Love.
- 1 32oz bag Frozen Hash Browns cubed
- 1 32oz box chicken broth (low sodium can be used)
- 1 can (10oz) cream of chicken soup-do not add water
- 1 8oz package cream cheese-not fat free
- 3oz bacon bits
- 1-2 pinches salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded cheddar cheese
How it's done:
- Put the hash browns, chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, and half of the bacon bits into the slow cooker.
- Add the pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- An hour before serving cut the cream cheese into very small cubes. Place the cubes in the slow cooker.
- Mix ingredients a few times throughout the hour before serving. Once the cream cheese is completely mixed in it's ready to serve.
- Top with cheddar cheese and the left over bacon bits.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew Courtesy of Life in the Lofthouse.
- 2 (1oz) packages dry onion soup mix
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 lbs. lean beef stew meat (cut up into bite sized pieces)
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2-3 cups baby carrots
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 (10oz) cans cream of celery soup
- 1 cup ketchup
How it's done:
- In a large plastic bag, combine the dry onion soup mix and paprika. Add in the meat and shake the bag to coat the meat with the seasonings. Once meat is coated, spread out evenly into a greased slow cooker.
- Add the diced potatoes, carrots and onion.
- Mix the cream of celery soup and ketchup in a small bowl. Pour mixture over the meat and vegetables.
- Cook on low heat for 8 hours or until meat is cooked through and vegetables are tender. Stir to combine everything then serve.
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili From Iowa Girl Eats.
- 1 lb. chicken breasts
- 15oz can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 4oz can chopped green chilies
- 1-2 jalapenos, minced (using 1 made for a mild chili)
- 1 shallot or ½ onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Big pinch dried oregano
- 2 cups gluten-free chicken broth
- Juice of ½ lime
- ¼ cup milk (any kind, I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free flour (any kind, I used brown rice flour)
- Toppings: green Tabasco sauce, Verde sauce, lime wedges, tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and chopped cilantro
How it's done:
- Combine all ingredients except gluten-free flour and milk into the slow cooker, stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken then shred and place in the refrigerator.
- Whisk together flour and milk in a small dish then drizzle into chili and stir to combine.
- Cover then cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Stir shredded chicken back into chili, and serve with toppings.
Slow Cooker Zuppa Toscana Borrowed from the Chunky Chef.
- 1 lb ground hot Italian sausage
- 1 bag simply potatoes, diced potatoes and onions
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 32oz chicken stock
- ½ bunch kale, de-stemmed and torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
How it's done:
- Heat large sauté pan over medium high heat and brown sausage.
- Add minced garlic and stir to combine.
- Drain off the greases and then add sausage and garlic to the bottom of slow cooker.
- Add bag of diced potatoes and onion, cover with chicken stock and water (if necessary) to completely cover potatoes and sausage.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4.
Well there you have it, four hearty slow cooker recipes that are sure to keep you warm this winter!
- Whisk together heavy cream and flour until well mixed. Pour into slow cooker, add kale and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes until soup has thickened slightly.
- Season according to your taste and serve.